Our History

The Lexington Branch Library began in 1949 as a one-room, one table operation located in the Town Hall on Church Street. The Library moved into a new 4,000 ft² building on Park Road in 1976 and, in 1998, The Lexington Branch Library became the Lexington Main Library, the headquarters of the Lexington County Public Library System, in a newly built 48,000 ft² building on a five acre site on Augusta Road.

The Friends of the Lexington Branch Library was organized in 1991 with 7 founding members. Currently, the Friends of the Lexington Main Library has a large, active membership which plays a vital role in the mission of the Lexington Main Library. The Friends were instrumental in the building process of the new Main Library, and the Friends continue to support the Library and its staff in service to the community. 

Over the years, the Friends have held fundraisers to provide many extras that go beyond the scope of the Library’s budget. This would not be possible without the support of everyone who has been a Friends member, a corporate sponsor, and a volunteer. Thanks to all of you who have played a role in the Friends.  We invite new members to join us today and bring your talents and ideas for our next big project -- an improved Youth Services reading and technology area.

Friends of the Library Book Sale


A Brief Timeline

1949    One-room Library operates in the Town Hall on Church Street
1972    Lexington Library Association organized
1976    Lexington Branch Library opens on Park Road
1991    Friends of Lexington Branch Library organized
1992    First Gala at Pine Island
1995    First Golf Tournament and Gala
1998    Lexington Main Library opens on Augusta Road
2003    The Lexington Library Association gives assets to Friends of the Lexington Main Library
2003    Circle of Friends Statue commissioned
2007    First Father-Daughter Dance held
2009    Funding campaign continues for Youth Services reading and technology area 
2010    Friends go online:  Web Site and Facebook page launched